Fertility awareness (a.k.a. natural family planning) is all about tracking your menstrual cycle to determine the days you can get pregnant. This requires paying very close attention to your body and its patterns. There are several different ways to do this.
- 76-88% effective!
- You must stick with the program. It requires a lot of self-discipline.
- Doesn’t affect your ability to get pregnant after you stop using it.
How to Use It
There are several different ways to track your cycle. That’s all the fertility awareness method is—tracking your cycle and not having sex on the days you can get pregnant (or using an alternative method of birth control if you do).
- Standard Days (SDM): record periods & determine when you can’t get pregnant
- Two Day (TDM) & Cervical Mucus: observe cervical secretions to see when you’re fertile
- Body Temp (BBT): chart body temperature every morning to determine ovulation
- Symptothermal: tracking many different signs and symptoms
- Lactational (LAM): breastfeeding suppresses fertility